Monday, June 22, 2009

My Daddy





Yesterday was Father's Day. It is still a special day to me for a lot of reasons. I am so thankful that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me more than I can even imagine. I trust in Him completely and I couldn't ever make it a day without Him. He has blessed me more than I have words for.

Next, I think about my sweet husband of nearly 21 years. He is a very sweet dad, and loves our children so much. That really blesses my heart to see him with them. From when they were little, until now (teenagers!) I still love to see them together, just visiting or hanging out.

But when I really stop to think about Father's Day, I think of my daddy. His name is Olan Ray Lundy. He lives in Heaven now. He went to be with my Heavenly Father on July 4, 1994. I miss him everyday. There have been so many times that I have thought " if I could just talk to daddy about this I would feel better". I know that is why God gave me such an amazing brother, Lance, because he thinks things out so much like daddy did.

Daddy was a very calm, quiet, level headed person. He was very wise and thought everything through before he spoke. He was not quick to judge, or get angry. He was an extremely hard working man, and did whatever he could to help his family have what they needed and wanted. I am so thankful that I had such a wonderful Christian daddy. He made God his first priority. He led our family by example every day. I can close my eyes and still see him laying in his bed, reading his Bible, before he went to sleep every night. In all of my life I never EVER heard him say a bad word. He rarely ever talked about anyone, if he did he usually ended it with an excuse for them. If I ever smell Old Spice I am instantly imagining my daddy in front of his bathroom mirror. If I ever smell Old Spice mixed with the smell of roast cooking, it is Sunday morning, mom is in the kitchen, daddy is getting ready to get to church early and I am in my bedroom in Bloomburg wishing I didn't have to get up and get ready for Sunday School. (lol)
One time I wrecked (totaled) my parents car. I was so upset that I had caused this. Daddy said something to me that was the best thing an upset 16 year old could have ever heard. He said "honey I can replace that car, but I can't replace you". At the time I was still very upset, but I remember thinking, "wow, my daddy sure does love me". I think of that time so very often, and hope if I am ever faced with something like that I will be able to put my priorities in order, and say something so loving to my children.

I am so thankful for the "daddies" in my life. I am especially thankful for the memories of my earthly daddy that God blessed me with, he was a wonderful man.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully written! You made me choke up with emotion... You are a truly blessed daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Is There Anything?

Is There Anything?
Is there anything sweeter?

Almost...